Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On Hope

Hope. It's more than Barack Obama's buzzword. It's more than a philosophical belief and it's more than something you can chose. For me, hope is a physical experience. It's a spiritual one. Hope is elusive, but necessary, and here, it's fleeting.


But I keep seeing this white bird everywhere I go and it's almost always by itself. I saw it with two other white birds today. The other ones quickly flew away, but it walked right up to me. Let me take this picture of it. I've filled my journal already with pages of contemplation about what it means-what signs unasked for really signify. Why some universal force seems so determined to remind me to fight through the homesickness and remember hope. I need things of comfort, so I think I'll stop questioning why this bird is following me and just let it.


1 comment:

  1. so i was reading a book the other day and it was about humans and their innate interest and connection with animals. The book started by saying that birds are connected with the spiritual and more philosophical questions while animals (or beasts) are related more to the flesh and the earth. Just something for you to keep in mind. What philosophical quests are you undertaking over on that big island?

    ReplyDelete