Sunday, January 10, 2010

Quick Update


"It is a curious emotion, this certain homesickness I have in mind. With Americans, it is a national trait, as native to us as the roller-coaster or the jukebox. It is no simple longing for the home town or country of our birth. The emotion is Janus-faced: we are torn between a nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick more for the places we have never known." -Carson McCullers


Haven't done much in the way of exciting adventures in the past few days, as it seems that Uni (that's what they call college) is mostly about partying here. Dealing with homesickness has been more difficult than I anticipated, but each day has gotten better. Classes start tomorrow, and I anticipate that will help even more in taking away the feeling of isolation being here has given me.

Last night marked the first night I ventured into a British night club. Basically, my impression of the UK so far is that partying is incredibly important and crucial to nearly everyone's way of life. Don't get me wrong-I love a good night of dancing and the occasional crazy party, but most of my friends back at Mizzou can attest to the fact that for the most part, I stay busy with school and activities-not drinking. Well, it doesn't seem many students here do that. So I guess when in Rome....

The club we went to the, The Sugarhouse is the club run by the Student Union here. That's right. The Student Union owns and runs a club. But anyway, drinks were quite expensive (especially after the 2 pound bus fare, 3 pound cover, and 1 pound coat check) so I made the night mostly about dancing. The music selection was quite odd. They played everything from Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" to Beyonce's "Single Ladies" to that one "Teenage Dirtbag" song that everyone knows and loves/hates.

All in all, it was a pretty OK night. Still not sure if I'll be able to keep up with these Brits and their hard-partying ways, or if I'll adjust to the very different night club scene, but I've got to try everything once while I'm here!

Still miss you all horribly. If you have anything you want me to post about here or any crazy British things that you've heard of that you want me to try, feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment