Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One week Down (163 days to go!)

Not too much to update about. I've been horribly homesick, but doing my best to still put myself out there, meet new people, go to the parties, etc., but it's been hard.

Classes started yesterday and it felt good to go back to something I feel good at. School here is evidently much easier than American college, which I'm not sure is a good thing. School is really what comforts me when all other things seem to be going crazy and out of my control, so since there isn't really a lot to do here in the way of classwork or papers or quizzes or tests, I'm worried it will make my stay here even more difficult.

I guess I should explain the school system a little better. I am here for the Lent term (which started yesterday and ends in the middle of March) and Summer term (which starts in the middle of April and lasts until exams end). Most classes end after Lent term and all of Summer term is meant for preparation for your exams, though if you asked most students here, they would say it was meant for 7 night a week partying. Anyway, you would think that if you are give an entire term to study for exams, they must be exceedingly difficult.

You'd be wrong. Not only is it University Policy that all old tests must be posted online for students to study from, but they are basically essay tests-a specialty of mine. Almost all of my courses are graded completely on a 3,000 word or so essay due at the end of this term and the exams in May.

I haven't figure out how they actually manage to learn anything. But, I guess I'll figure it out?

Last night, I had dinner with some American girls, went out to Trevor, the old fashioned pub on campus, and got some late night pizza.


Christina is a really good cook!

I've already been to the late night pizza place a few times (cooking for yourself in a kitchen that is equipped with appliances the size of EasyBake ovens is just not something I'm that into) and the guy there is getting to know me. They always make fun of my accent and how I talk, etc., so last night, I made him take a picture with me.


I miss you all so much. I check my countdown all day long to see how long it is until I get to return.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment